In May of 1947, Leroy M. Bingham, from the United States Department of Agriculture Soil Conservation Service (now Natural Resources Conservation Service), was assigned as a farm planner to get Androscoggin Valley Soil and Water Conservation District started. A petition circulated around Androscoggin and Sagadahoc Counties and the residents expressed an interest and a need for a Conservation District.
After a certificate of organization was issued by Harold Goss, then Secretary of State, an election was held for the Board of Supervisors. C.F. Hobart (Bowdoinham), Frank Millay (Richmond), and Rockwood Berry (Livermore Falls) were elected as the first Supervisors for Androscoggin Valley Soil and Water Conservation District.
The final step in forming the Conservation District was the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between the United States Department of Agriculture and the Soil Conservation Service and a supplementary Memorandum of Understanding between the Soil Conservation Service and the Androscoggin Valley Soil and Water Conservation District.
The Conservation District's main aim is to teach the proper methods of land use, how to obtain the most from its natural resources, and yet maintain its fertility, and prevent such disasters as flooding, erosion, mineral losses, and the loss of the wildlife and freshwater habitat.