Mushroom Log Inoculation Tools Kit Rental
Want to try to inoculate logs with mushroom spawn on your own but don't want to commit to purchasing the tools needed? Rent the tools from us and see what it's like! Mushroom logs or stumps are a great addition to any home garden.
Rental Cost is $40 and will allow you to rent the equipment for 1 week. Must pick up and drop off at the office.
When you purchase a rental you will have these tools to use for 1 week:
- Two inoculating tools (two different types to try)
- a 12MM drill bit to drill the holes
- an angle grinder adapter
- brush to scrape lichen off of logs
- crockpot to melt wax (some wax will remain in the pot but please provide your own wax)
- 3 daubers
- 2 pairs of safety goggles
- Basic instructions
The drill bit has a stopper that will create a hole at the correct depth that matches the size of the inoculation tools.
What you will need to find/purchase:
- A cordless drill (or angle grinder)
- Logs of the correct species that are 3'-4' long, (4-6inch diameter)
- Mushroom spawn
- Wax (usually paraffin is used)
- a free afternoon to complete this fun project!
The tree species you use for your logs will depend on what type of mushroom you plan to grow. Each species prefer different qualities in their wood/substrate. Here's a good resource from Northspore on finding the right species.
Your mushrooms will be ready for harvest the following year.
🍄An angle grinder is not necessary for this project, but if you have one already it makes the job go A LOT faster, if you don't have one, a cordless drill works great too
🍄The drill bit can be used for mushroom spawn only (usually purchased in a 5 lb bag), if you have plug spawn you'll need a larger bit.
🍄 We provide basic instruction guides, but please do your own research and watch videos to make sure are prepared for this project! (it's not hard, it just requires forethought)
Rental cost is for one week. Must pick up at the office (254 Goddard Rd, Lewiston). To purchase, click the link below.